A Book That I'm Ooggling and a Sale Ebook at Amazon (US). Also, Lois Long.

Dr. Mutter's Marvels: A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the Dawn of Modern Medicine - Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern - Joshua Zeitz

Not the first time I've seen Dr Mutter's Marvels but yet another person referenced it - on the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast devoted to fall books and detectives (a re-listen because I didn't make any notes on books to look up later). Of course I could have just looked at that page, where there's a list of the books discussed, but that's not nearly as fun.

All I have to do is hear the mention of the Mutter Museum and I'm immediately alert. I've never visited, but I've read/watched every interview that former curator/director Gretchen Worden gave and have wanted her book for eons. (The link on her name goes to the section about her on the wikipedia page.) Because yes, I am the type of person who fangirls over museum curators/researchers. (And I say that as someone who knows how much non exciting work they do behind the scenes.) (Of course that implies that I think that there is exciting work going on in a medical museum, which tells you way too much about me.)

So of course I'm going to be all over a new book about the Mutter, especially since it's easily snagged in ebook form. (It is still not the norm for the weird or macabre nonfiction sort of book to be found in ebook form. Paper book, yes. But I have soooo many paper books of that sort already that the Addams Family would feel quite at home with some sections of my shelves.) (Er, my theoretical in-storage-at-the-moment shelves, that is.)

I note that there's also an audio/video edition - will have to ponder that, since I don't read on a tablet (I'm a devoted fan of e ink because of battery life) - but I'm sooo interested in what the video would contain.

Have I snagged this already? Er, not yet. Mainly because I am still sitting on a huge virtual pile of ebooks I'm happily reading now. Also because I'm that person that loves sales. As soon as this book's price goes down a bit I'm all over it. Not to mention that we're about to come upon the Big Sales Season, and that means my email sale alerts are about to go insane with the price drops.

Which reminds me - in Amazon US, the following book is momentarily at $1.99:

Which of course I had to snag. And now I have to remember which American writer intrigued me so that I had to put this on the want list, dangit. I think she went to Vassar and that no one's put together a book of her New Yorker columns yet, which irritated me at the time.

Seconds later: Because I HAD to know - her name is Lois Long, and she wrote under the nickname Lipstick. I need to start writing a series of posts called Women That Need More Books About Them.

Oh and I heard about Lois Long via the Ken Burns series Prohibition. I have the book, but I confess I've only just read the (tiny) part on Lois Long so far. (She was just a passing reference, but what I heard made me want to know more. I buy so many books from references like that!)