YES! I HAVE INTERNET AGAIN!

Transformers: Robots In Disguise Vol. 1 - Andrew Griffith, John Barber Tales From Bow Street - Joan Lock Cooking for Kings: The Life of Antonin Careme, the First Celebrity Chef - Ian Kelly J. S. Le Fanu's Ghostly Tales, Volume 4 - Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu The Washington Monument: The History of the World's Tallest Obelisk - Charles River Editors

I thought I was totally mellow, that it wouldn't be a big deal to go without internet for a week. After all, I thought, I have my phone and I can always look things up there. Except of course I forgot the whole "you only have 2gb per month" thing, and because it's easy to let that amount slip away, I became miserly. No video, no audio, no new podcasts - the short version of all this is that it's been REALLY emphasized to me how much I do that requires being online. And now I'm very aware of how many times while I'm reading I usually google something I want to know more about. Not all of that internet use is entertainment related - several things related to info and bills is much easier to deal with online, especially when you compare it to the phone versions of the websites.

Anyway, the past week(ish) has been all over the place reading-wise. (Linked the covers so you'll have an idea of the content - yes, I am currently too lazy to list them.) Graphic novels via Humble Bundle (I now have a passel o' Transformers stories, heh) only for home (they need a full screen and color) and then only my ebooks for the daily commute. I've been bouncing around in various ebooks, especially if reading any one is making me sleepy. Way too easy to fall asleep on a train. And it's not so much that any book is dull, it's just perhaps that page or that subject, plus the train moving steadily, plus it being earlier than 7am - you get the idea.

Another problem is that the cold weather has made me want to be in bed under my electric blanket (I love that thing way too much), which has for once in my life made reading in bed terrible. Apparently me + heated blanket = instant brain torpor, and I can't read more than a paragraph (or hear a few minutes of a podcast) before I'm out.

Anyway, today was the first day of internet in the apartment. Since I had to take the day off to be here I had this goofy idea that I'd go grocery shop, etc. once I got back online. Then it decided to do that rain/snow thing in the morning. Bleh. Stayed happily inside and did laundry. And read at all sorts of websites. But now the fun decision - Netflix, or more web-reading, or...well that electric blanket is very comfy. Yes, even though I now have the 'net, the siren blanket calls to me. (I like to set it on high to preheat, then lower it to the bake setting.)

Have to add a humorous aside - before the install date the cable company called me to try and upsell me to cable tv since I'd only ordered internet. And I explained that no, I only had a computer and planned to keep it that way. And the guy still tried to sell me cable tv service. I had to tell him again "nope, I only have a computer. I don't see the need for a tv right now. By the way, could you confirm the times the tech is going to be here on Friday?" And nope, he couldn't. (He tried, but couldn't get his computer or the website to work. It was sad.) He did tell me twice that he was recording the call to ensure good service, so maybe someone will eventually give the poor salesfolk a better script. Because they have nothing to say to upsell you if you explain you can watch all sorts of tv (legally!) thanks to the internet.