The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft Best ebook version of Lovecraft with contents linked such that you can easily hop to the story you need. Other Lovecraft compilations on Amazon (at the time I bought this) don't have that linked contents, and you don't want to have to page through an entire book of this size just to get to one story.Also worth the purchase because it was given away free (and you can still find it) - but I'd urge you to kick some money over to the woman who did the formatting (CthulhuChick), it's worth it.As for the stories themselves? Possibly an acquired taste. Some are much better than others, and Lovecraft does have certain tropes he uses again and again - narrator faints when the horror appears (it's just too horrific!), something is indescribable (usually a horror), and words like eldritch and non-euclidian appear repeatedly, etc. But there's something fun and occasionally creepy in Lovecraft's stories that really is charming, and I often enjoy his over the top descriptions and bizarre scenes. Not so much enjoyment for the racism and xenophobia - which I never shy away from warning people does pop up in Lovecraft and which I really hate. I can't say he's the only author from his time period that has this dis-likable trait, and I'm of two minds about it. I'd rather avoid authors like this - yet at the same time, the words are there, and he's not the only one spewing this sort of thing - and I think we're better off not forgetting that this sort of writing was common. (I can't say that Lovecraft is the most disturbingly casually racist content I've read, but that certainly doesn't excuse it.) I don't think it's the kind of thing we should forget, and it should be held up as an example of what we don't want to go back to.Another author with racism that I found disturbing: G. K. Chesterton, in one of his Father Brown stories.[I went into a longer discussion of race and Lovecraft here, when I was trying to explain why some people are attracted to Lovecraft in spite of these issues, and why it's problematic to toss out literature with these issues. Short version: there's a lot of lit with this issue.]