I know I said I would stop but - Hoop Skirt Question Answered!

Short version: Blah blah continuing addiction blah blah youtube documentary blah blah.

From: History of the Home: If Walls Could Talk

(Another Lucy Worsley, and there was a book too)

Full series starts here with Part 1 (they're all in 15 min youtube chunks, the first one starts with the Kitchen), but we're going to skip to the first part of the Bathroom segment. So we can learn how women went to the "loo" when they had huge, voluminous skirts. It's just in the first 20 seconds of this.

And the series goes on later to explain the word bordello (I think that's the word she's saying? "Bor del loo?") - which is in this case a fancy, small chamberpot (and not yet meaning this). And after seeing the pretty little china thing she holds up I couldn't help but think: someone out there is using that as a gravy boat, not knowing the real purpose of what they think is a nice old piece of china. Right? Look at it again and tell me someone wouldn't think that's what it is!!!

Oh and Thomas Crapper doesn't come into the story until Part 3. Where you also see some amazing examples of china toilets with hysterical names (5:50 in). And learn about the U-bend and S-bend pipes.

Oh and warning, this is the segment on Bathrooms, so if you don't want to know about what goes in and out of chamberpots and other types of toilet related cultural history, don't watch! Though you'll miss a great segment in the next episode where she's at some sort of Home Depot type place and has help building (using modern bits and pieces) the first toilet using instructions from the Elizabethan era. Meanwhile I'm just feeling terribly grateful that we no longer have communal toilets (with one long common bench seat with multiple holes and no dividing walls) or have to bathe wearing a dress (thanks but no, Victorians!).