Dammit, Open Library, Stop Enticing Me to Read More...

Women Of The French Revolution - Linda Kelly

I have hundreds of books on my ereader, and a big stack (in truth, literally, photo to come later) of books on my desk, but here I am, sneaking off to my computer to read a book on Open Library. (If you have no idea what this is - here's a link to their help page, and here's a page specifically about borrowing ebooks.) ...I suppose this means I should give in and eventually get a tablet (assuming Adobe Digital Editions works on tablets?). This is bad because I've always sworn that I only want an ereader just for books. And that I didn't need to use a tablet. And I may have been somewhat dramatic in stating this, on multiple occasions.

It's always annoying to have to reverse yourself about something you were SO sure about, especially when it deals with your own tastes. (Not that I change much as far as the bigger, important issues - you know, like love, honor, truthfulness, and devotion to chocolate in most of its forms. ...Also cake. [stifles self before she can continue on tangent]) Eventually I'll learn to stop making any "final" pronouncements on how I'll use anything gadget related, because I have the feeling that I'm going to keep changing with the tech. [Imagine many sentences here about how I already adore all my gadgets, am gleeful over the ability to read books anywhere, etc. - because I could go on and on about that.]

Meanwhile I've read oodles of books on the French Revolution, and somehow this book - Women of the French Revolution, by Linda Kelly - is the most lively so far. It's not as hardcore-academic as most of the others I've read (however I haven't gotten to the bibliography to suss that bit out, and while there aren't footnotes so far I haven't checked for endnotes), but the focus on the women's stories is so nicely done, and it moves really quickly. I think what's really gotten me hooked is the fact that the author doesn't shy away from the blood and the tragic deaths - but neither does she dwell on it for pages. The stories are simply told, often with quotes from the women involved, and then you move on to the next bit of history. It's nice to see what can be done when an author's not trying to cram too much into a history. Though to be fair there is a lot going on in the French Revolution, and narrowing down the events to be covered is hard. (But then, I'm one to go off on tangents, so I would say that, wouldn't I.) I'll go on in more detail when I actually review the book - and I'll have a lot of quotes because I want to remember large chunks of this. (I get particularly quote happy if I don't own a copy of a book.) It's also an extremely short book - I'm interested to find out whether the ending will be abrupt.

Moment of humor - a day ago I was happily reading in this book (someone had just made a last minute escape from being sent to the guillotine) - and suddenly when I turned the page the next one was completely blank. In fact all of them were blank, to the very last page of the book. I tried refreshing the screen - nope, still blank. In a huff, I decided that I'd had enough reading on the computer - and then took another book to read in bed. Just to show the online book how little I cared that it wasn't letting me read any further. ...So it turns out that, because I'm used to reading Open Library books on Adobe Digital Editions (you actually download a copy to read), this is something that can happen with a book you can only read within a browser page. And all I'd have to do was go to the book's page - here - and re-open it from there. Because it was still checked out to my account. I felt extremely sheepish, but I certainly didn't let the book know about it. It's never good to let inanimate objects know how much you care about them - sometimes it makes them terribly haughty. And I have far too many shelves of books to deal with on a daily basis, so I'd best not encourage that kind of thing.

...Hmm. Now I'm tempted by Monsieur de Saint-George: Virtuoso, Swordsman, Revolutionary, A Legendary Life Rediscovered. This is why my TBR stack never gets smaller...