Reading in Progress: So Remember My Last Post About Libraries?

Rebel Heart: The Scandalous Life of Jane Digby - Mary S. Lovell

Hey, what's with booklikes being weirdly slow to load tonight? It's almost like something in serverville knows I'm especially wanting to book blog.

I really need to write a love letter all about libraries and why publishers should love them as well. For my current, highly relevant example: Rebel Heart, this very book. My library loan will expire - either sometime tomorrow or in a few hours. And I was going to give in and see what the used book prices were on Amazon.

I may now actually buy the ebook. [Find out by the end of this post if I do! Suspense!] It's at $8.89, and I usually hold out for the neighborhood of $5 and less because I am ridiculously cheap. However there are extenuating circumstances!

1) The author told a story [I quoted it here] about researching the book which involved unknown journals and letters, plus a secret code (every time I type that about the code my brain is just all squee with the idea of how fun that discovery must have been) - and I LOVE that she added this information, plus did all that work researching the subject. This makes me want to reward an author. I am always a sucker for a good research story. (Seriously, I want to write fan mail. I may have to if the book doesn't eventually talk about the code cracking.)

2) I can work with the neighborhood around $8 - it makes a difference that they tried a price other than 9.99, as silly as that sounds. (I see that as publishers experimenting with various prices. I want to encourage that.) If an ebook is priced higher than $12 - which is the start of inching into "more than paperbacks and used, so not for me" I'd say no. Since I buy history books often I see a lot of ebooks in the neighborhood of $20, $50, and higher. I don't buy them.

3) The reason the book blurb for Rebel Heart reads like a romance novel is because Jane Digby's life resembled one - so much so that 8 novels (at least) about her or using her story in some way were published in her lifetime. One of the reasons I'm reading this slowly is that I'm trying to find all of them online for free, and since many were written in the 1800s I have done so! Problem: this makes me stop reading.

[I may also have to make a separate post from the review with brief - yes, I can do brief! sorta! - plot synopses of her life + novels about her and see if anyone can help me figure out if her story's been filmed - possibly without citing her. It seems impossible this hasn't been a movie. Here, read her wikipedia and you'll see what I mean. If you've read or seen many romances you already know her story. Her life is a huge list of Tropes! Actually I'll have everyone help me play Find the Trope. Er, when I finish the book that is.]

4) Even after I finish this book I have a feeling I may want to refer to it - and I also would like a copy where the footnotes work. (I really hope they do in the kindle version - I have no idea if you can actually check this in a Look Inside section.) In any case, when I get to the point where I'm planning to take a screenshot of the reference section just so I can have a list of books to look up in the future? Yes, I want to buy the book. [Post book purchase: footnotes work. Am already reading them. I adore footnotes.]

5) I am having a really fun time writing silly back and forth dialog between people in this book like in that last post of mine. Not caring if I put it all in a review - it's for me, I'm amusing myself. So when I found out the ebook exists - I was already looking for a used paper copy - I thought, well why not just get the book so you can slow down now and have fun reading this way? Because the only reason I'm rush-reading is the expiring library loan part.

Just like that - I've bought the book. (And I did too - just after I typed the next word...click.) I can see this happening a lot too - if I find a library book I really like and then there it is waiting for me to purchase and keep.

...It possibly also helps that I've been reading all day and just ate a huge quantity of candy that was hidden in a part of the fridge that everyone had overlooked. Yes, that's how I roll on a Friday night - I read, unexpectedly eat a lot of sugar and then I buy books for more than I usually spend! Go, Team Book Nerd. (I say, proudly, because this book is definitely worth one expensive cocktail plus tax. Assuming that was an alternate plan for this Friday evening, which it actually wasn't.)

...Where was I? Oh right.

So, see publishers? Libraries - they're helping you sell books. And I know I'm not an exceptional case.

And for the rest of you that are interested, here's the open library link:

Rebel Heart: The Scandalous Life of Jane Digby by Mary S. Lovell

Someone already has it checked out for the next two weeks though, after I turn it in. (And I can turn it in now and they can gleefully have it early!) But you can hop onto the waiting list. Meanwhile I may post my little summaries in multiple posts if I have too much fun with them. (But yes, in the "click for more" page break thing, because I do know I rattle on a bit when in a book-love-frenzy!)

One thing that is making me very happy about now having this in ebook? One of the (other) reasons it took me forever to read it was that I wanted to curl up with it in a chair or before going to sleep. I have to read Open Office books on my computer - I don't think Open Office uses any formats that work on kindles yet, or tablets. Especially if I have days when I don't feel well - or at least just feel like curling up with a book. (I desperately need a comfortable computer chair. Ugh.)

Later, after book has downloaded:

Randomly I just got a newer ebook version of Carl Sagan's Cosmos as a download. An update maybe? Weird. I wonder how I can tell which part is added...

(And yes, before I typed that sentence I had a moment of "squee, new book acquired!" over the one I bought.)

(Also, when you are out and about and see older women reading and buying books? Know that inside many of them are secretly going all squee over those books. Because I know a LOT of us do that. While we pretend to be extremely mature adults. Heh.)